A diverse independent school community represents and embraces many cultures and viewpoints. A diverse school celebrates the talents and contributions of all of its members. A diverse independent school believes in the integrity of every child. Diversity encompasses many dimensions, including race, religion, ethnicity, culture, gender and socioeconomic background.
Recognizing the importance of preparing students to be leaders of their communities, to enhance the learning environment for all students, and to encourage its students to be positive influences in their communities, Highlands School is proud to be a diverse independent school. Highlands fosters in its students an appreciation of individual differences, an awareness of and openness toward ideas that differ from their own, and an understanding and appreciation of the backgrounds and experiences of all members of their communities.
To provide a diverse independent school environment, Highlands encourages:
- Awareness, appreciation and celebration of the diversity in our community
- Understanding that diversity encompasses more than race and ethnicity
- Respect and appreciation of others’ differences
To this end, Highlands constantly strives to:
- Educate the school community concerning diversity and multicultural issues
- Maintain open dialogue among all members of its community, focusing on awareness, sensitivity and mutuality
- Attract a diverse group of faculty and administrators who appreciate the importance of educating children in a multicultural world
- Create an educational environment and curriculum that supports and enhances diversity by promoting awareness and experience of different cultures and traditions
- Offer need-based tuition assistance that allows a Highlands education to be affordable to a wide range of qualified students