Opportunity: Bus Driver (CDL required)
Highlands School is a vibrant leader in independent education in the Birmingham metropolitan region. Highlands School’s whole-child focused academic program – guided by a comprehensive emphasis on physical, social-emotional, creative and intellectual development – educates and inspires students in preschool through 8th grade. The School was founded in 1958 and holds accreditation from the Southern Association of Independent Schools (SAIS).
- The School Bus Driver is responsible for safely operating the school bus on a regular daily schedule and to provide safe transportation to other sites on an as-needed basis. Includes some mid-day filed trips and shuttle services for special events.
Areas of Responsibility:
- Operate the school bus in a safe and efficient way in compliance with the law and according to al relevant school policies and procedures
- Complete the school bus route as assigned ensuring that students enter safely and enter and exit the bus at their designated stops.
- Ensure all bus passengers are safely seated before and while the school bus is in motion.
- Observe all speed limits and obey all road signs and traffic regulations.
- Maintain order on the bus, explain safety procedures to passengers as needed, enforce rules of conduct and respond to emergencies, including the safe evacuation of passengers through emergency exits.
- Keep a record of the number of students transported and miles driven on each run and report to Business Office.
- Ensure that vehicles are in good operating condition by performing required daily pre-trip safety inspections and maintenance checks. Reports needed mechanical repairs immediately to the Director of Facilities and/or Director of Finance and Operations.
- Ensure that vehicles are in broom clean condition and free from garbage daily.
- Washes bus when needed.
- Exercise good judgment in the performance of job responsibilities and work without direct supervision.
- In cooperation with teachers, schedule mid-day filed trips so as not to interfere with regular bus route runs.
- Communicate effectively with students, parents and staff.
- Perform other related duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Must possess a valid AL Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) with a P endorsement (S is preferred) and be at least 21 years of age.
- Demonstrate personal warmth and friendliness.
- Must demonstrate the ability to understand and carry out both written and oral instructions in an independent manner.
- Must be able to sit for extended periods of time
- Must maintain current CPR/First Aid certification
- Must demonstrate a good driving record, as defined by Highlands School in its sole discretion, for the past 5 years
- Drivers are subject to background checks and drug screenings from authorized and designated service providers. Drivers are subject to random drug screening tests in accordance with the US DOT, as well as mandated drug screening tests in the event of an on-the-job accident
- Drivers must agree in writing to have their DMV records made confidentially accessible to the School.
Highlands School is an equal opportunity employer. We offer a competitive salary, benefits and professional opportunities. Interested candidates should submit complete our online application and forward it to firstname.lastname@example.org:
Family Center Early Childhood Teacher
The Family Center at Highlands School is an early childhood program meeting the needs of children from 6 weeks old to 4K readiness. We seek to hire a teacher with a strong background in early childhood education and child development with commensurate experience. The successful candidate must be a team player and positive thinker, exhibit a model work ethic and can-do attitude, be loving and nurturing, and possess strong communication skills. This is a full-time, year-round position.