Highlands School, a progressive early childhood – 8th grade independent school, is currently seeking a skilled and engaging Substitute teacher to teach in its dynamic 4k-8th grade community. Candidates will possess a strong interest in working with children and an appreciation for education and childhood development. In addition, substitute teachers will be asked to follow all rules, regulations, and guidelines prescribed by the Highlands School Employee handbook and Student/Parent Handbook. Highlands School provides a unique opportunity for students to take risks, fail, succeed, and know they are valued, all within a joyful classroom community.
- Degree in Education (preferred)
- Valid Substitute Teacher license issued through the state of Alabama State Department of Education(required)
- A collaborative mindset and commitment to professional growth, personal development, and social-emotional learning
- Experience using technology a plus
Areas of Responsibility:
Highlands Teachers will:
- Create a safe and engaging classroom community for students as needed by employing a variety of instructional strategies and materials supported by best educational practices to enhance creative teaching/learning
- Maintain a clean, attractive, well-ordered classroom
- Execute educational lessons as outlined by the lead teacher
- Maintain current and accurate attendance records, assessment data, and grades as outlined by the lead teacher’s lesson plans
- Develop and maintain rapport with students, parents, and staff to promote a positive learning environment
*We cannot accept electronic signatures on the application. Candidates must scan or send an application with an original, print signature.
Highlands School does not discriminate based on race, creed, color, religious belief, gender, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status or any other protected class pursuant to applicable local, state or federal laws.
The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies:
Kavita Vasil, Head of School
Highlands School, 4901 Old Leeds Road, Birmingham, AL 35213
For further information on notice of nondiscrimination, visit https://ocrcas.ed.gov/contact-ocr for the address and phone number of the office that serves your area, or call 1-800-421-3481.