A diverse independent school community represents and embraces many cultures and viewpoints. A diverse school celebrates the talents and contributions of all of its members. believes in the integrity of every child. Diversity encompasses many dimensions, including race, religion, ethnicity, culture, gender and socioeconomic background.
Recognizing the importance of preparing students to be leaders of their communities, to enhance the learning environment for all students, and to encourage its students to be positive influences in their communities, Highlands School is proud to be a diverse independent school. Highlands fosters in its students an appreciation of individual differences, an awareness of and openness toward ideas that differ from their own, and an understanding and appreciation of the backgrounds and experiences of all members of their communities.
Highlands School recognizes that with changing demographics, instant communication and accessibility to information, and ease of travel, the world is growing smaller and changing rapidly. We believe students are best prepared for the future and learn best in an environment that is rich in differing experiences and perspectives.
To provide a diverse independent school environment, Highlands encourages:
- Awareness, appreciation and celebration of the diversity in our community
- Understanding that diversity encompasses more than race and ethnicity
- Respect and appreciation of others’ differences
To this end, Highlands constantly strives to:
- Educate the school community concerning diversity and multicultural issues
- Maintain open dialogue among all members of its community, focusing on awareness, sensitivity and mutuality
- Attract a diverse group of faculty and administrators who appreciate the importance of educating children in a multicultural world
- Create an educational environment and curriculum that supports and enhances diversity by promoting awareness and experience of different cultures and traditions
- Offer need-based tuition assistance that allows a Highlands education to be affordable to a wide range of qualified students
Together, we must show our children that they all belong, that they all matter, that they are all loved. It is up to us, as they grow and mature into citizens of the world, that they do not back down from their social responsibility, and that they strive to create a society where all peoples belong, all peoples matter, and all peoples deserve to be loved.
Head of School
Highlands School does not discriminate based on race, creed, color, religious belief, gender, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status or any other protected class pursuant to applicable local, state or federal laws.
The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies:
- Robert McGehee, Associate Head of School
- Highlands School, 4901 Old Leeds Road, Birmingham, AL 35213
- 205.956.9731 ext. 101
For further information on notice of nondiscrimination, visit https://ocrcas.ed.gov/contact-ocr for the address and phone number of the office that serves your area, or call 1-800-421-3481.