2021 Capstone Projects
Nationally, Highlands is one of few Middle Schools offering a Capstone program to graduating students. Our Capstone program is a year-long, individual thesis project centered around a particular passion or curiosity of each 8th-grade student. It is a culmination of all the skills each student has developed in their tenure at Highlands, including public speaking, research, writing, creativity, collaboration, and critical thinking.
Capstone exemplifies our approach to Project-Based Learning, linking ideas and concepts to practical application at each interval. Students are given autonomy over their projects while maintaining accountability with individual advisors, replicating activities they will encounter throughout their academic and professional futures. The program provides students with the opportunity to leave their Highlands experience with a tangible reflection of the knowledge, interests, and character they have cultivated during their time.
Since we cannot be together in person this year due to social distancing measures, click the links below to see each student's Capstone project.
- Beauty Has No Limits by Sadie A.
- Choreography by Ellis C.*
- From Amps to Song Writing: A Learning and Building Experience by Colt C.
- Our Rivers by Ian C.
- Drawing Journal by Tyler D.
- Marcus Mascot Mural by Marcus E.
- Writing My Book: A Novel Approach by Sarah K.
- Around the World by William L.
- A Teenager's Take on Birmingham by Annette L.
- Different but the Same by Morgan M.
- A Highlands' History by Rosa S.
- Peer Helper 2021 by Bo S.